Thursday, October 22, 2009

the guilt appeal

Because of the way I was brought up it is very easy to make me feel guilty. What is worse is that once someone achieved that they (whoever they may be) can manipulate me into doing things I do not want to do, but will do because I want to avoid the feeling of guilt under any circumstances. I suppose this is one of the reasons I am so put of Catholicism as I feel guilty enough without religion telling me to feel so all the time.

However, I am not stupid, and when such things start happening I do see it and I do something about it so that I do not end up being abused. It is very difficult to stand up against such manipulation as I mentioned before I was brought up to be so.

I do not know why I am writing this at the moment, maybe because somebody is appealing to my guilt syndrome as I write, but just moaning about it won't change it. Unfortunately I still have to go over the enormous barrier of feeling guilty and only then I can fight it back, stand up for myself, and show that I am worth a little bit more respect.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Oddly enough, as a Roman Catholic, I never grew up feeling guilty. The priests I knew always seemed so enlightened and progressive.

My experience of Catholics (as long as they are the practicing and not non-practicing kind) and Catholicism has generally been pretty positive. I make exception to American Catholics who seem to be very much like their Evangelical brethren. I think there is something about the American experience that places a strong emphasis on extreme polarization.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin