Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving


Today Americans and Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving, the rest of the world just have harvest festivals... Anyway no mockery about Americans in this post. I really do love the idea of thanksgiving, whether you are religious or not, and even if you don't have great-great-great-great-grand- something that was a pilgrim it is still a perfect day to say thank you.
Now leaving the dead turkeys aside, the whole idea is beautiful. You thank Your God, Your Family, Your Friends for all the good things (and maybe even the bad ones). You get to eat a lot and to dress up, and you get to say thank you as much as you like. I really fancy celebrating Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure how my British husband would take this (I suppose I could twist his arm and remind him that it was the British Pilgrims in New England that started this anyway...)
So I would like to use this very special day to say thank you, to many people, firstly my husband and my four legged children for loving me unconditionally, then to all my editors (no matter how much I may hate them sometimes) for publishing my stuff, for my boss Arturas (for giving me numerous opportunities and helping me as a friend) for all my newly made friends: Richard for honesty, Lorri for simple but beautiful friendship, B for so much love and care, and many other people who have been or are my friends at the moment. Also I would like to thank to all the people who encouraged me to write. Just a little over a year ago a career in writing seemed impossible, yet at the moment it is my everyday life. I would also like to say thank you to all my students for learning, because that is the best thing they can do for me. Not to forget all of my blog readers, I thank you so much for reading and for commenting even if I don't reply for weeks or months I do not forget and I do care, I simply am very very busy, and my blog is the only place where I write in English at the moment, so forgive me for my laziness to reply and thank you.
I also would like to thank life, for this very day I have, because it is simple yet a very special day, a day to say thank you.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Carra, this is a beautiful post. One tiny little note: I believe Canadians have their thanksgiving in October, when we Americans have Columbus Day.

Yes, too much emphasis on the dead turkeys! And you got me curious about mocking Americans...

Admin said...

Yes, we Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

I am a dual citizen, though, and I celebrate both Thanksgivings. American Thanksgiving marks the day when I put up Christmas decorations.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Carra! Thank you for including me!

Yes, the poor turkeys have to give up their lives for our stomachs and for the celebration.

Hugs you.

Richard said...

As Vesper mentioned, in Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving about 6 weeks earlier than those South of the border.

Thanks for appreciating my honesty.

I appreciate your determination and ability to just go and do things.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin