Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sarcasm

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
Oscar Wilde

The ones who actually read some of the O. Wilde's works, will probably gather that Mr. Wilde was very likely to be sarcastic when he said that!

New research shows the highest functions
of the brain handle the lowest form of wit - sarcasm.


The truth is as long as sarcasm is subtle (and that is most likely to come from an educated person's mouth) it is fun!
Sarcasm requires intelligence to use it properly, and by the way, if you can't laugh at yourself you are a sad person anyway! So if someone is being sarcastic with you what do you do? You reciprocate!

My favourite sarcasm technique is:

A skinny friend/acquaintance/work colleague etc..: I am fat.
Me (in a sarcastic tone): Of course you are!

The reason why I do this is because those stick people are very likely to use that particular phrase while they are with their not so skinny friends/acquaintances/colleagues etc, because they want to be praised for their skinniness. Sorry sticks it doesn't work with me! Find yourself another idiot.

The reason for this post is because some coward and an idiot of an anonymous yesterday commented on my post about correos not fully understanding the humour within the post.
If you haven't got the guts to leave your name or blog address after you commented, don't bother! I must admit, I find that comment quite amusing.

Also I thought by educating people about Sarcasm, maybe I will reduce the vast amount of those sad handicapped people who do not understand sarcasm.

And by the way, my friend who is autistic and naturally can't understand sarcasm because of her disability to read the tone of voice and body language, appreciates sarcasm most of all humour forms because - it is the most intelligent!

If you aren't intelligent enough to understand sarcasm the last thing I suggest is quoting O. Wilde (look at the top of the post) as he was probably the most sarcastic person of his time and didn't mean a word he said half the time!


3 comments:

Richard said...

I have a preference for irony (some believe that sarcasm is a type of irony) because I find the absurdity of it humorous. Of course, this leads to problems when I listen to politicians speak because I find their absurd statements humorous and yet am saddened when I realize they are serious (and that others are unable to see through the obvious absurdity)

Jayant said...

Very very well done,Carra!
Nice way of educating people about what sarcasm exactly is.Personally I'm a jovial kind of person,full of leg pulling tricks all the time,so I do use sarcasm quite often,but never in the bad way.
Hope I dont get a sarcastic reply to this comment ;)

CG said...

Richard, yes irony is a good replacement for sarcasm, and I believe it requires a very high intellect to master it. I love when politicians sound ironic yet without realizing that, it just show, that the nation's brightest aren't always that bright!
Jayant, I am not being sarcastic honestly :). The problem with sarcasm is, it's all up to the person who receives it to decide whether it's just humour or an insult. If one, wants to see it as an insult no matter what you do, or how good your humour is, you will be misunderstood, but that shouldn't rip us off - the people who realize how important humour really is!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin