Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Language Issue


M y husband is English, and he can take most of the rewards for improving my English speaking skill tremendously!
But there is one thing he hasn’t taught me, something I have to help him with all the time. Something I learn easily and quickly.
My husband can not spell most of the words that have more than eight letters in them. I think it happens because he can not be bothered; it’s easier just to ask me to do it for him.
My husband has issues with most of the words ending with ‘–tion’ he is never sure it is whether there should be t; c or other letter. Another spelling problem is le and el on the end of the word like HANDLE and LABEL he always gets mixed up with those!
Tonight though he was reading my yesterdays article about Jean-Paul, and he noticed and incredibly funny spelling mistake! I meant to write poodle and instead I wrote puddle, of course my lucky husband who can’t spell himself found the mistake immediately! I know he will keep reminding me of that at least for a week. He is English and that makes him an English – born comedian with a witty sense of humour!
I do like English humour and I have got used to it by now. At first it was hard to understand and I thought he was being rude to me. So many times I burst into tears because I did not understand English humour! Now it is different and sometimes I even manage to answer back but no all the time!
That puddle thing is very annoying. A man who can not spell words like positive, handle or imagination is laughing because I made a mistake with word poodle! I am aware that I do miss an occasional ‘a’ or ‘the’ but most of the time my spelling is good. I remember before we left the UK there was a new show on TV. Famous people would be told a word and they were supposed to spell it out, most of the time I didn’t have problems even if the words were ones I never heard of. I have intuition for spelling in English, I always did. If I am not sure how to spell the word I use the Microsoft Word or my favourite Chambers Dictionary. When I talk on messenger I usually make mistakes because my current keyboard is not QWERTY and because I rush. Nothing unusual, but when I type for my blog I always read the text at least three times to make sure it sounds English enough. I know my mother tongue is not English and I do understand that it will take me years and years of education before I will be able to write in the ‘English - English’, but the only way to try and learn is actually do it!
That took a very big part in the creation of the blog, because I wanted to learn write short articles in good English. It was not important what I would write about, the most important thing was how I will write it and why. So slowly I started learning. I now have a list of articles in my office that I should write, which I will write when I will be confident enough to touch those certain subjects.
Most of my life I was shy; in fact I was shy until I met my husband. Before that all my emotions and thoughts would be stored inside of me or in my writing. I never showed my short stories to anyone, as the purpose of them was not trying to say something but to get it out of my system, now the writing purpose has changed I write because I want to learn and because I want to improve.
The biggest break in my writing was, when I was about 14 and for the first time I decided to show my work to someone. I took some of my poems to my English teacher at school. I asked her to correct my grammar mistakes, but she refused. This wonderful woman told me this that day:
Poetry doesn’t have to be correct in grammar. Even the words that you use could be spelled incorrectly it does not matter. What matters is the emotion and the feeling, not the way you say it but the expression in total.
One day I will thank that wonderful woman for saying so. She made me continue writing. At the time I only wrote poems and as I look them now they weren’t good and death was mentioned in most of them. But I did manage to transfer the feeling, how I felt inside and it helped. I got rid of the ghosts and my sentence construction got better with time. Now I don’t write poetry anymore, and I am aware that the rules that apply to poetry don’t apply to prose. I am learning everyday. I hear new expressions from my husband or read them in the books, either way I listen or read carefully, to make sure it gets fixed in my memory.
When my husband starts teasing me about silly mistakes like ‘the puddle’ I get upset. I worked really hard, for a long period of time, to make sure I can express myself either in written or spoken English, and I find it hard to accept the joke. It is not because I do not have sense of humour or because I do not see the humoristic part of it. I dislike it because it shows my failure. That shows that I haven’t learned it quite yet and the man that can’t spell the word POSITIVE can spot a silly mistake like that. It is really frustrating.
I hope as the time goes by I will learn to accept my linguistic failures (especially in English) easier with a lighter heart and a good laugh.

9 comments:

B said...

The misspelling issue indicates no failure on your part. We all do that...all the time. Blogging is particularly different, as with poems and any personal writing. Your teacher was absolutely right for telling you what she did. The focus is more about releasing your thoughts and emotions than it is about perfection of grammar and spelling. There are so many times that I go to write a word and in staring at the word, I draw a blank as to the correct way to spell it. The important thing is that you are writing and you are opening up. It is just amazing to me that you have the command of the English language that you do. Don't feel dejected...you have a beautiful writing style and as time passes, you will feel more and more confident about those technical apsects of your writing.

CG said...

Dear Breal, I'll admit this - I was waiting for your comment! I am sitting here in front of my PC looking through the map of Paris trying to work on my big translation! Thank you for all the support you give me, it does mean a lot to me! You are right I know that, but I think some of the things you said you should apply to yourself!

B said...

Lol...and I'll admit this...when writing that comment, I knew that it was advice and encouragement that I too need to heed. That is my biggest hang-up with writing...focusing on the negative things/failures/weaknesses, obsessing about the wrong things (grammar, spelling, etc.) and finding myself seriously discouraged as a result.

Your support means so much to me too. And thanks for challenging me!

CG said...

Well that's what I am here for to remind you (and not only to myself) that we should learn to ignore the failures and faults and just admire the results, but that is not our nature, so we torture ourselfs until someone tells us to stop!

B said...

Very well said. I think it is beautifully ironic that two tortured individuals such as ourselves can find encouragement and inspiration in each other!!

Anonymous said...

Your English is extraordinarily good - that's the first thing to say. And I can understand that you didn't like being teased about 'puddle'. But I find it fascinating that the kinds of mistakes non-native speakers make are charming, whereas the mistakes that native speakers make are simply irritating. In fact, I usually just stop reading if a native speaker makes mistakes - I make all sorts of assumptions about them and assume I won't want to know what they have to say anyway.
But with your writing, for example, though there are occasional small lapses, they act like a little spice in the mixture.
I've lived in France for the last few years, and my French is still very poor - and I'm much too old to do very much about it. You have a lot of life in front of you to perfect your English. (Not sure what you're doing in France, though!)

CG said...

Dear anonymous, thank you for your comment and the compliments. I live in France because my husband loves this country and french cuisine and many other things. I have lived in Britain for over two years and I enjoyed every single day while I was there. I am pretty fluent in French but I am still learning, and even though my husband thinks that learning French will do me good in the future (and I know he's right) I am concentrating very much everyday on learning English language. One day I will, and there will be no more 'puddle' accidents until then I'll have to learn to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

And just to add to everyone's spelling difficulties, if you have to worry about whether you are writing in British English or American English (even if you are in neither Britain or America) then I think you deserve a medal just for getting through it!

CG said...

Thank you, Merci, Danke Schon, Gracias, Grazie , Spasibo and Ačiū

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin