Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Darcy made no answer. He seemed scarcely to hear her, and was walking up and down the room in earnest meditation; his brow contracted, his air gloomy. Elizabeth soon observed, and instantly understood it. Her power was sinking; every thing must sink under such a proof of family weakness, such an assurance of the deepest disgrace. She could neither wonder nor condemn, but the belief of his self-conquest brought nothing consolatory to her bosom, afforded no palliation of her distress. It was, on the contrary, exactly calculated to make her understand her own wishes; and never had she so honestly felt that she could have loved him, as now, when all love must be vain.

(I was totally outraged, being involved in the story that much, when I read of Lydia's irresponsible elopement, that could destroy the future of her remaining four sisters, yet this part of the book, in my opinion, marks the most important turn of the story)

A delightful read. Totally fulfilling love story, a beautiful almost poetic writing stile, and charming characters. Only two complaints:

1. Some names of the places became ------- (dashes)
2. The characters looks seem to be of less importance than the actual character of theirs.

However if one would consider these two points mentioned as flaws, one would be wrong, because in most of the book it seems correct and understandable (especially when applying to the latter mentioned above).

If I could have I would have quoted most of the book, as the cheekiness of Miss Austen is certain and undeniable, it is as much a comedy as a love story. There for making the story charming as well. I am already looking forward to reading more of her books.

The introduction of Vivien Jones is also brilliant, it clarifies many things in the story, however it should not be read before reading the actual book if you have fears of spoiling your read.

It certainly deserves the title of a classic, and this work is entitled to a space on any person's bookshelf, who is interested in literature.

I know I am not the greatest of reviewers, nor do I have the talent, to be a critic. But I can tell you this: when I picked up this book, I did not want to put it down, and read it until 2AM, Pride and Prejudice will hardly demand thinking of you, as most matters are clear, however it is a very fine example of romantic fiction.

The title is the most enchanting element in this story of all, as it won't be understood until you read beyond half of the work.

Once again, a delightful read, I'm only left to admire Jane Austen's talent.

Elizabeth, and her father conversing, about her recent engagement to Mr. Darcy:

"Have you any other objection," said Elizabeth, "than your belief of my indifference?"
"None at all. We all know him to be proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him."
"I do, I do like him," she replied, with tears in her eyes, "I love him. Indeed he has no improper pride. He is perfectly amiable. You do not know what he really is; then pray do not pain me by speaking of him in such terms."

2 comments:

Jayant said...

Thanks a ton for the review Carra!
I'm very very choosy about reading novels as I dont want to waste a fortnight on something that's not worth reading.
I only read the ones recommended by friends so this one is in my list now :)

CG said...

You are very welcome Jayant, glad you liked it, I hope you will like the book too :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin