Thursday, October 01, 2009

A book about missed opportunities and unsaid things that should have been said.

From the moment I picked up this book I did not want to put it down. Great thing about it is it is so short, so you can allow it to swallow you up completely because you know you will not be trapped in another 900 pages!

The layout of the story is beautiful. It is amazing how Ian McEwan can jump in and out between places and time, he seems to have no problem to express the transition at all. Another thing that captivated me was the Englishness of the story. Every book I have read by him seem to show that true English nature that even though exists today seems to go unnoticed and certainly does not get a lot of literary attention. He does not waste time in showing the character's true nature and intentions, but it is the build up of the story that keeps you in the book. There are still many books I want to read by this author but I am certainly keeping this one to reread it again in the future. If for nothing else - just to remind me not to waste opportunities. However, that is not to diminish the fact that this book is a literary desert - you just can't have enough of it.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Sounds like a good recommendation. I'll have to see if I can drum up a copy somewhere.

On a slightly related, though tangetial note, the movie "Up" is very good as well. The opening (20 to 30 minutes) is a real tear jerker about love and dreams and challenges and lives unfulfilled. Which then launches into the movie. It is as much, perhaps even more, an adults movie as a child's movie. My kids liked it too.

CG said...

Richard if you sent me your address I would gladly send you my copy as it is sitting on the shelf doing nothing. I like sending books on journeys. I am going to look up the movie tomorrow as I am getting tired after your comment bombardment as I want to be polite and reply!

Richard said...

ha ha, sorry, it was not my intent to bombard you with comments, but after 2 months, I had a lot of catching up to do.

CG said...

Do not worry or apologise Richard! will get my own back soon enough :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin